Poland - City of Olsztyn
Castle of the Warmian Chapter in Olsztyn &
Museum of Warmia and Mazury
The Museum of Warmia and Mazury (Masuria) is housed in a castle built from the fourteenth to the sixteenth centuries, to which was added a Baroque wing in the eighteenth century. When the Masurian Museum opened in 1945, it assumed possession of whatever objects had been preserved from the collections in former East Prussia and from Olsztyn’s Heimatmuseum. In 1975, the museum received its present name.
The Archaeological Collection contains objects from all periods found in the regions of Warmia, Masuria and the Kaliningrad Obvod – from the early Stone Age to the Middle Ages, up to early modern times. Most valuable are the bronze Roman bowls from Sambian burial sites, early medieval swords of Scandinavian origin and terra sigillata vessels, and Roman imports from Pons Auns discovered at Pomielin.
The Historical Collection preserves documents and artefacts which testify to the Polish character of Warmia and Masuria and reflect the region’s history from the sixteenth century to the present day. The holdings include cartography, iconography of former East Prussian towns, records of past and present events, including culture, and numismatics.
The Early Art Collection comprises medieval and early modern pieces as well as works by local artists of the nineteenth through the first half of the twentieth century, and is renowned for its Gothic art from Teutonic Prussia, sixteenth to eighteenth century woodwork from Warmia and Krolewiec (present-day Kaliningrad, known in German as Kšnigsberg), seventeenth century Dutch portraits and sixteenth to twentieth century Prussian portraits.
Adress: Ul. Zamkowa 2, Olsztyn
Schedule: Monday – Saturday: 9:00 - 16:00
Sunday: 9:00 - 15:30
Phone: 7390 200.175
Fax: (89) 527-95-96