Poland - OLSZTYN COUNTY
Olsztyn County is a unit of territorial administration and local government (powiat) in Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship, northern Poland. It came into being on January 1, 1999, as a result of the Polish local government reforms passed in 1998. Its administrative seat is the city of Olsztyn, although the city is not part of the county (it constitutes a separate city county). The county contains five towns: Dobre Miasto, 24 km north of Olsztyn, Biskupiec, 31 km east of Olsztyn, Olsztynek, 27 km south-west of Olsztyn, Barczewo, 14 km north-east of Olsztyn, and Jeziorany, 26 km north-east of Olsztyn.The county covers an area of 2,840.29 square kilometres.As of 2006 its total population is 113,529.Apart from the city of Olsztyn, Olsztyn County is also bordered by Lidzbark County and Bartoszyce County to the north, Kętrzyn County and Mrągowo County to the east, Szczytno County to the south-east, Nidzica County to the south, and Ostróda County to the west.The county is subdivided into 12 gminas (five urban-rural and seven rural)
The region of Olsztyn
Theatre of Warmia and Mazury in Olsztyn
The theatre was founded in 1925 as a gift to the residents of Allenstein for winning the plebiscite- his name – “Der Treudanktheater” (with German “In thanks for loyalty”), under which it operated until 1945.
On November, 1945, it appeared for the first time as a Polish stage under the name of the Theatre of Warmia and Mazury.
Since 1946, the institution has been operating under the current name of the Teatr im. Stefana Jaracza.
In 2006, it obtained the status of a National Institution of Culture, as the first cultural unit in north-eastern Poland of this rank. On the initiative of the theatre, important recurring events are held in the city, such as the International Theatre Festival “Demoludy” and Olsztyn Theatre Meetings.
Maria Zientara-Malewska Memorial Hall in Brąswałd Prymus Foundation
A memorial room dedicated to Maria Zientara-Malewska (1894-1984) was organized in the village of Brąswałd. The Warmian poet, writer and teacher was born in this village, and went down in history as an active activist for the preservation of Polishness in Warmia. Her works often contain references to Warmian beliefs and legends, as well as descriptions of the customs of the region’s population or its beautiful landscapes, which strongly influenced the artist. We can find their collections related to the life and work of Zientara-Malewska, as well as other well-known residents of Brąswałd, including priest Walenty Barczewski. In the village, near the memory room, there is also a monument to the poet, placed in front of the house where she lived with her family. The idea of the museum was to present to visitors the history of Polish patriotism in the Warmian land. This place mainly shows the Polishness of southern Warmia and Polish national activists, in the second half of the 19th and the first half of the 20th century. This place teaches patriotism through the prism of the problems of the local community, which once as a Polish minority was forced to fight to preserve its own identity.
The parish of Saint Catherine in Brąswałd
The parish was established in the second half of the 14th century. Before 1525, the parish belonged to the Archpriesthood in Dobre Miasto, and today it belongs to the deanery of Olsztyn II Zatorze.The church was founded in the second half of the 14th century. Dates related to its history:
Ø 1363 subsidizing the parish church by the Warmian chapter.
Ø after 1500, construction of a new church on the site of a temple destroyed by Lithuanians.
Ø 1580, consecration of the church by the Warmian bishop Marcin Kromer.
Ø 1617, the church rebuilt after the fire was consecrated by bishop Szymon Rudnicki.
Ø 1894-1896, construction of a new church on the site of the old one.
Ø 1897, consecration of the church by Bishop Andrzej Thiel.
Ø 1930, dedication of the chapel in Bukwałd by priest Alojzy Moritz.
Church in Sętal
The church is a monument of religious architecture built at the beginning of the 20th century and was built in the village of Sętal (German: Süssenthal), located in the commune of Dywity, in the Olsztyn poviat.
The church was named in honor of All Saints and Saint Nicholas. It was built of red brick on a rectangular plan.
The first temple in this town was already mentioned in documents from 1344. It was destroyed, probably during the war in 1519-1521. In the 16th century the church was rebuilt. On October 30, 1583, Bishop Marcin Kromer made his consecration.
In 1908, the church was completely destroyed in a fire. Already in the same year its housing was designed according to the design of Fritz Heitmann from Königsberg. The works were completed in 1910, and on July 11, 1911, the new temple was consecrated under the current call by Bishop Augustyn Bludau.
It is an oriented, neo-Gothic, three-nave, hall church. It was built of red brick on a rectangular plan.
The interior design and furnishings are uniform and maintained in the neo-Gothic style (from the beginning of the 20th century).
Immaterial patrimony of Warmia and Mazury
First of all the cultural heritage is the object of protection, on the other hand contain potential, which increase the region touristic attractiveness. The guarantee of effective protection of cultural heritage is skillful inclusion of them togreat civilization change which is happening. The wealthiest of Warmia, except for the unique values of natural environment and scenery is the cultural and national variety as well as diverse of cultural heritage. Differentiation is the result of stormy history of this area, changing their state membership and ethnic variety. The multicultural, multinational and multi-faith community of the Warmian Masurian region makes up the richness of regional cuisine. They refer to the flavors of Old Polish, Warmian, Masurian, Ukrainian, Lithuanian, Russian or Prussian cuisine. Drawing on this diversity, we joined the European Regional Culinary Heritage Network as the first of Polish regions. The Culinary Heritage Network Warmia and Mazury is currently one of the largest in Europe and the largest in Poland. Family farms, producers, plants and restaurants of Warmia and Mazury increasingly emphasize their regional identity. In addition, they use old recipes and traditional raw materials. The Warmian-Masurian has been a member of the European Culinary Heritage Network since 2005 using the “Culinary Heritage Warmia Mazury Powiśle” logo.
The historical and architectural wealth of Warmia is powerful gothic castles surrounded by a ring of defensive walls along with gates and towers. Examples of such castles and walls are found in some Warmian cities. An example of such a building is the Castle of the Warmian Chapter in Olsztyn. Capitular castle of Olsztyn bailiffs. Built by the Warmian cathedral chapter. The oldest building in Olsztyn. Currently the seat of the Museum of Warmia and Mazury.
The Warmian churches also testify to the identity of the region and Catholicism as a symbol of the historical, religious and spiritual separateness of this area and people. The first churches in Warmia were built in the Gothic style, where the church was not very large, the interior without divisions, and the presbytery wall was always facing east. Arch cathedral Basilica St. Jakub the Elder Apostle in Olsztyn Gothic, parish church of medieval Olsztyn. The oldest temple in Olsztyn, Warmian co-cathedral, arch cathedral since 1992 elevated to the status of minor basilica in 2004 by Pope John Paul II.